In today’s health care society, patients commonly are cared for by multiple physicians, from primary care provider to specialty physician. Unfortunately, it is also common that these various prescribers do not have the technological ability to easily share medical information. The lack of information sharing can, and often does, leave the patient at risk for serious adverse drug reactions.
For the time period of 1997 to 2008, The Department of Health and Human Services’ Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) found the following statistics in regard to medication-related hospital admissions8:
- 117 percent increase in people aged 45 to 64 years old;
- 96 percent increase in older adults aged 65 to 84 years old;
- 85 percent increase in very old adults aged 85 and older.
Medication Advisors exists to bridge this gap. With our expertise in drug therapy management evidenced by board certification in general and geriatric pharmacotherapy, we are uniquely positioned to evaluate a patient’s medication regimen, educate a patient and their caregiver on disease state management and medication information, and offer the patients’ providers recommendations on drug therapy.
Our recommendations are based on evidence-based medicine and published national guidelines, and are offered to the patients’ providers in the spirit of team-based care and improved patient outcomes.
Medication Advisors offers a variety of physician oriented services including:
- Comprehensive medication evaluation looking for drug-drug interactions, drug-disease interactions, drug-food interactions, adverse effects, appropriate therapeutic outcomes, and cost-containment.
- Evaluating and improving patient compliance with medication regimens.
- Medication reconciliation between differing physicians and levels of care.
- Evaluating herbal, vitamin, mineral and nutritional supplements.
- Assistance with complex medication regimens.
- Guidance with discontinuing medication to avoid adverse events.
Physicians may request specific services for their practice or refer patients (click here for form) directly to Medication Advisors.